Question:

From West Islip, New York, USA:

I am 28 years old, have diabetes for the past 27 years, and I'm trying to find new sites for insulin injections other than the basic four (abdomen, thigh, upper arm, buttocks). This drew my attention to one of your questions which asked about injecting in the breast. The reply was that an accidental insulin injection was not harmful, but not recommended as a routine injection site. Please briefly explain the conflicts and why it is not recommended. Can you suggest any other sites?

Answer:

I am not the original author of the response you are referring to. However, I would be glad to share my opinion with you.

It is true that we have used the four basic sites for insulin injections. However, it is preferable to use the abdomen over the others. If you cannot use just the abdomen, a fixed rotation (same site at same time each day) is preferable. The breast is made up of fat tissue. However, it can become inflamed. I would worry that absorption would not mirror other sites and that mastitis [inflammation of the breast tissue] could occur.

Rather than thinking about a new site, I would prefer you think about extending the surface area of the sites you already use. If you need help knowing where these areas are, I would recommend you see your physician or nurse educator to discuss this issue. It may make a significant difference in your day-to-day control.