From Beirut, Lebanon:

I am 18 years old, and have had diabetes for two years, but I really do not know why it hit me since no one in the family suffered from it before and I was too slim already. Are there are any new inventions in the treatment of diabetes?

There are new insulins and new blood glucose meters, including The Continuous Glucose Monitoring System to manage diabetes more effectively. Coming up are implantable insulin pumps and the pump plus sensor or "closed loop insulin infusion system". Technology is moving very fast and new products are being introduced every year.

Additional comments from Stephanie Schwartz, diabetes nurse specialist:

You might want to look through the many answers we have posted on Research: Causes and Prevention and Research: Cure.

Unfortunately, the scientists at this time do not know the exact cause of diabetes, and it is not unusual to see newly diagnosed people who do not a family history. The current thought is that while there is some genetic component, there are also environmental factors (yet not understood) that play a role in the destruction of the insulin producing cells.

Posted to Research: Cure