Question:

From Live Oak, Texas, USA:

I am 49 years old, have type 2 diabetes, and lately the readings on my meter have been extremely high (about twice as high as before). I exercise three times a week, watch what I eat, and the only real change is my meter and the strips I am using. I changed the batteries and tried new strips, but I did notice that the code in the meter was different from that on the strips. Before this week I am was feeling great, but then I got a bad headache that did not want to go away, and that day I did notice the my readings were high all day.

Answer:

It is essential the blood glucose meters be properly programmed, with the proper strip lot code and calibrated to be accurate. Taking good care of your meter will help you feel confident that the blood sugars you are getting are accurate.

With regard to getting high blood sugar readings "for no good reason", remember that often times, just before you get ill, your blood sugar will go up. Kind of an early warning system.

HVS

[Editor's comment: See How often do you use control solution to check your blood test meter? SS]