From Austin, Texas, USA:

My 86 year old grandfather, who has type 2 diabetes, is in the hospital right now with congestive heart failure and may have surgery very soon. His favorite drink is a chocolate milk shake. Is there any way that I can make him a shake and still stay within his diet? If you can help, he may not be as grumpy as he is right now.

I admire your attempt at giving your grandfather some "comfort food" that won't play havoc with his blood sugar control. Try using a Nestle sugar-free chocolate milk maker powder mixed with a sugar-free ice cream or reduced calorie ice cream and some skim milk. You will still have carbs in the three ingredients, but not as much as if you used regular chocolate syrup and regular ice cream. The sugar free chocolate milk maker can be found in most grocery stores in a square yellow plastic container and is actually quite good. Hope this brings his spirits up a bit.