From Los Angeles, California, USA:

I am 45 years old, have type 2 diabetes, and I have finally controlled my diabetes and have gotten off all medication due to a dramatic and hard earned weight loss. However, my doctor is probably going to start me on prednisone every other day for a year for another illness. How can I combat side effects of prednisone -- such as high blood sugar levels and also weight gain?

Be realistic about what the prednisone will do. In patients who have diabetes, the prednisone will make the sugars higher and frequently will require medication for treatment. Monitor frequently and set realistic goals for treatment.

[Editor's comment: See Your doctor advises using steroids. SS]

Posted to Other Medications