From Bolingbrook, Illinois, USA:

I am a 57 year old female who was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes seven years ago which is treated with pills, and I am monitoring my glucose three to four times a day. Is there a way for me to get an average of my glucose levels without waiting for doctor visits?

It is great that you are interested in knowing your average glucose levels. Many meters will average your home tests over 14 and 30 days, which will give you a rough idea of your average glucose readings based on the testing you are doing. The hemoglobin A1c test measures an average over about three months' time. Your care provider can order this every three months without a visit if you discuss this with her or him. There are also now some A1c tests available by mail order. You collect blood in your home and mail it in, but I believe most require a prescription from your health care provider.

There is another blood test called fructosamine. that measures your average blood sugar over the past two weeks. Your health care provider can order this or you can purchase an InCharge monitor from LXN Corporation which also measures fructosamine.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c