From West Orange, New Jersey, USA:

I am a 54 year old female who has had diabetes for about 10 years. My last hemoglobin A1c was about 10%, and I am most interested in getting this down to normal. I would like to know what kinds of foods to eat that will lower my blood sugar and my A1c test. I must note that if I eat too many carbs, my sugar goes higher.

I would recommend that you meet with a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes. This person would be able to individualize a meal plan based on your usual eating times and preferences. There is no such thing as a standardized meal plan for diabetes nowadays. Ask your physician or diabetes team for a referral.

You are correct about seeing higher blood sugars after overconsuming carbohydrate foods because they have the most and fastest impact on your blood sugars.