From Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes for 20 years, and I am actively trying to become pregnant. For the past several days, my blood sugar levels have been erratic, 60-90 mg/dl [3.3-5 mmol/L] before meals but going into the 170s [mg/dl, 9.4 mmol/L] two hours after meals. This is very unusual for me as I have kept my post-meal blood sugars around 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L]for the past year. Do you think that this could be an early sign of pregnancy? I have always heard that blood glucose will be lower during the first trimester of pregnancy, but I thought that maybe the change in hormone levels could be causing the erratic levels.

In early pregnancy, blood sugars can be erratic. I have found that both lows and highs occur. This is probably due to hormonal changes and variable food intake. If you think you are pregnant, then take a pregnancy test.

Posted to Family Planning