Question:

From Gandhinager, India:

My 12 year old son, who weighs 23 kilograms (50.6 pounds) has had diabetes for seven years, is at present taking 5 units of Monotard with 5 units of Actrapid in the morning and 3 units of Monotard with 3 units of Actrapid at night, but we are not feeling good with this dose. Please give us some guidance for food, medicine, and a plan for a smooth life.

Answer:

I am not sure your reasons for not feeling good about the dose of insulin your son is on. Is this because his control is not as good as you would like it or is it because you feel it is too much insulin?

Remember that diabetes control isn't just about the insulin dose and regimen but also about lifestyle, activity and diet to name but a few. A good healthy diet is one which is high in fibre, fruit and vegetables, low in sugar and low in fat, and with a reasonable amount of complex carbohydrates. Having a routine can also help diabetes control. Taking insulin correctly, making sure the insulin is carefully mixed and given in the correct place at the correct times is also important. Also checking the glucose readings all go together to help maintain good control.

JS