From Lisbon, Portugal:

I'm 28 years old, I have been been taking insulin since I was 10, and my control was really bad until two years ago when I decided to get pregnant. I've been planning my pregnancy since then, but unfortunately some secondary complications of diabetes are now being diagnosed, namely retinopathy and nephropathy, both of them in a very initial phase. I know these problems get worse during pregnancy, and I would like an honest opinion regarding my situation.

The medical team following me is from different hospitals, and each doctor individually thinks there is no reason not to get pregnant. However, I'm a little bit afraid. Is it possible that this pregnancy will require too much of an effort from my body? My husband and I both want a baby, but we also want him (her) to see his (her) mum healthy and able to take care of him (her). Please be so kind to inform me about the true risks of a pregnancy in this condition.

Your risk is relative. Mild retinopathy and nephropathy (with normal blood pressure) are probably safe. However, there is a chance your condition could progress during pregnancy although this does not appear to be as critical for kidney problems.

You are at greater risk of developing preeclampsia (hypertensive disease). With significant nephropathy, you are at greater risk of poor fetal growth and pre-term delivery as well.

Posted to Family Planning