From Hurst, Texas, USA:

My 11 year old has diabetes. What do most parents do for insulin at school? I can't imagine him taking it back and forth he can hardly remember to take his head -- good thing it's tied on!

What do other parents do? They employ the help of their school nurse. If your school receives Federal funding, discuss drafting an IEP and 504 plan to help delineate who will help your child at school. Schools that receive Federal funding are mandated by the American with Disabilities Act to help children with special needs. Diabetes is one of them. Need more help? Contact your son's pediatric diabetes team.

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

Most times we try to not have kids have to take insulin at school, but if they do have to do so, they keep an extra bottle in the refrigerator, usually in the school nurse's office.

[Editor's comment: See The Law, Schools, and Your Child with Diabetes. SS]

Posted to School and Daycare