Question:

From Devine, Texas, USA:

The prescription sticker on my three year old daughter's glucagon kit says to give her 1 mg (all of it) if needed. Isn't that too much?

Answer:

I hope you were taught how to use the Glucagon Emergency Kit, and yes, you are correct that the full amount, 1.0 mg is too much. Usually for kids under age six, we use one-half of that amount. You need to mix it all up and then squirt out one-half) We say to squirt it out first since in the confusion going on at the time, you might accidently give the whole amount, which wouldn't hurt. However, it may take a smaller child longer to feel after having that much of the solution because it van cause some nausea.

LSF

[Editor's comment: Also see Mini-Dose Glucagon Rescue for Hypoglycemia in Children With Type 1 Diabetes. SS]

DTQ-20010717002510B
Posted to Other Medications and Hypoglycemia