Question:

From Homer, Ohio, USA:

We have a first grader who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about one year ago now attending our school. He takes insulin at home before coming to school and I believe at night. He must have a snack in the morning which is Hi C regular drink, and his blood level before lunch and can range from very high to very low. He has a snack again of a Hi C drink in the afternoon. I realize that it is hard to regulate a young child's blood sugar level, but is it all right to feed Fruit Loops, Hi C, ice cream, bologna sandwiches with mayo, chips, fruit roll ups, etc. to a child with diabetes?

I have been told that I am old fashioned -- that this is an okay diet -- by the child's dietitian. While I know that there is nothing, theoretically, that I can do, I guess just for my own peace of mind I'd like to know, am I "old fashioned" in my thinking about diabetes or not?

Answer:

I am glad you are concerned, but things have been liberalized with regard to diabetes meal planning and should not compromise optimal blood sugar control. A lot of times, meals and/or insulin can be altered to meet the child's caloric intake, food preferences, and growth needs.

Regardless of the diabetes, everyone should follow the Food Guide Pyramid and strive to use all of the food groups in moderation. There is a place for every food in a diabetes meal plan, and nowadays portion sizes are more important than types of carbohydrates.

JMS