Question:

From Capital Heights, Maryland, USA:

My 15 year old daughter (recently diagnosed with psychoaffective disorder) weighs 208 pounds and was placed on a 1800 calorie diet, but I have no menus to go by and no idea how to plan meals for her. I don't know what foods to feed or what foods not to feed. My daughter does not have diabetes, but if she continues with the weight, she may very well be.

Answer:

I would recommend that you and your daughter meet with a registered dietitian who specializes in working with people with diabetes. You are correct in your proactive approach. Health care teams are seeing many more overweight kids developing type 2 diabetes, which never used to be the case. Minimal amounts of weight loss will improve blood sugars and could prevent your daughter from developing diabetes. Speak with an expert who can guide a meal plan around your family's usual eating patterns and preferences.

JMS