From Decatur, Georgia, USA:

I am a physical therapist, and will soon be completing my MBA/MHA. I have had type 1 diabetes since I was nine, and I would love to find a way to use my health background and my experiences with diabetes in my new career. I am very active and am very pro-active in my control, and have been fortunate to have no complications. It is the area I am most passionate about, but have been unable to find many viable career options. I would love to find a way to do something I really care about and also make a living that can support my family. Any suggestions?

You may wish to contact DESA, the Diabetes Exercise and Sports Association (formerly the International Diabetic Athletes Association). Their members may be able to give you further direction.

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

Check with your local American Diabetes Association or Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation chapter and see what they have to offer.

[Editor's comment: You might check with The American Association of Diabetes Educators, a multidisciplinary organization comprised of healthcare professionals who provide diabetes education and care. They may know of job opportunities. SS]

[Editor's comment: Contact the local diabetes camp and let them know you'd like to help at camp (and add that you're looking for a permanent job in the field). They might have some contacts, especially if you demonstrate your interest in the field by volunteering. WWQ]