Question:

From Dassel, Minnesota, USA:

My five year old daughter periodically becomes very defiant, and my husband and I can sense it developing even though it comes on very quickly. This mood is typically accompanied by uncontrollable giggling and stumbling. Last night this occurred one hour after supper, and after we gave my daughter a glass of milk and apple slices, she was back to normal within 15 minute. My mother-in-law has seen her in this state and said that it looked like she is inebriated. We have type 2 diabetes on both sides of the family, although not in the children. Could this be hypoglycemia or just normal mood swings in a child?

Answer:

I don't think this is hypoglycemia, but you might want to purchase a glucose meter and get some blood sugar tests done when your daughter develops that defiant mood. This may help in excluding low blood sugar. Ask your daughter's pediatrician for more help.