From Johnson City, Tennessee, USA:

I take metformin and have sticky stools. Every time I use the commode, I wipe several times and then have to wash with hot soap and water. If I don't, I get severely irritated and sore, and sometimes, even after a good washing, I sweat so that my rectum gets dirty and sore. When I was off the metformin, the stool was okay and normal wiping was sufficient so I know it is the metformin. Is there another medication to use besides that?

One of the most common side effects of Glucophage [metformin] is loose stools. This is well known. It usually gets less severe the longer you take the medication. However, some still have chronic problems.

It sounds like this is your only diabetes medicine. There are other medications to use for type 2 diabetes, but metformin has the advantage of not causing weight gain. It also has less problems with low sugars. The larger doses of metformin, including the sustained release form, have the same side effects. I would recommend you speak with your physician about other treatment alternatives. You will then be in a better position to make a decision about your treatment.

Posted to Pills for Diabetes