From Portage, Michigan, USA:

My 12 year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes almost a year ago, is and always has been, very active in sports (soccer, basketball, volleyball, softball) and is doing very well so far, but I would like advice on how to keep her doing well during sports so she can keep active. Does anyone have any "helpful hints" for maintaining glucose levels during strenuous activity? Are there any good publications that address type 1 diabetes and sports for children?

One of my favorite resources for diabetes management during sports activities is The Diabetic Athlete by Sheri Colberg, PhD. The author is both an exercise physiologist and a diabetic athlete herself. Her book provides an excellent overview of the body's response to exercise, as well as sports/activity-specific recommendations regarding insulin and carbohydrate management. It is applicable to both adults and children.

You'll want to discuss specific recommendations with members of your daughter's diabetes team. Blood glucose monitoring before, during, and after exercise routines will help identify areas where adjustments are required. There are many options for maintaining blood glucose levels during exercise, and this book does an excellent job in providing this information.

Posted to Exercise and Sports