From Baltimore, Maryland, USA:

My 26 year old girl-friend has diabetes (diagnosed at age 12), and she always has cold hands and cold feet. When we hold hands, I am surprised how frigid her hands feel. She often will state her toes are so cold that they feel numb even in room temperatures. Are her cold extremities related to her diabetes?

There are several possible causes for the symptoms. I am not sure it is neuropathy, although it certainly could be. Hypothyroidism can cause these symptoms as can several other conditions. In addition, I have seen these symptoms in patients who have no other remarkable disease or findings. I suggest that your girlfrined dicuss this with her physician.

Posted to Complications and Other Illnesses