From Newport Beach, California, USA:

My eight year old son, diagnosed about six months ago with type 1 diabetes, continues to grow in height, but he has lost seven pounds since then. He is currently in his honeymoon, his A1c is 5.7%, and his thyroid tests are normal. Any ideas as to what may be the cause?

One would not expect weight loss within the first months after diagnosis and treatment of type 1 diabetes, especially with a favorable hemoglobin A1c level. There are several possibilities, some which may have nothing to do with diabetes.

Are you and your diabetes team comfortable with his meal plan? Are there recurring bouts of diarrhea? Lots of lows? I would consider issues along the lines of hyperthyroidism, celiac syndrome, or Addison's disease [adrenal gland insufficiency], if focusing on the hormonal system.

There are several issues about weight and nutrition that might need to be assessed. Please have your son evaluated by his diabetes team. If he is not followed by a pediatric endocrinology team, this may be a good reason to do so.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss