Question:

From Holly Hill, Florida, USA:

I am a 31 year old female who had gestational diabetes five years ago, and, within a year after my child was born, I still had fluctuating blood sugars (40-280 mg/dl [2.2-15.6 mmol/L]), and I had symptoms of both typeá1 and typeá2 diabetes. I went to a well-known clinic where they said I was borderline and that I would develop diabetes, but they had to wait until I went one way or the other. They just told me to go on this diet and monitor my sugar levels, but I read an article that said there is no such thing as borderline diabetes. is this true?

I was fine for many years, but recently I have had more problems. I had a fasting blood sugar of 166 mg/dl [9.2 mmol/L], and two-hour after meal reading of 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. I went to sleep for nine hours, and when I woke up my sugar was 226 mg/dl [12.6 mmol/L]. I have had stomach pain, severe headaches, dry mouth,and I am easily angered. Do you think I should consult another physician or just try to control it with a diet? I feel like a yo-yo. it's like an emotional roller coaster.

Answer:

The numbers you give now are diabetes. A fasting blood sugar over 126 mg/dl [7 mmol/L] is diagnostic. See someone, now. Years ago is history. Find out what is up now.

[Editor's comment: There is no such thing as borderline diabetes. You either have it or you don't. See Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes Guidelines. SS]