From Chesapeake, Virginia, USA:

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes four months ago. I take Lantus and Humalog, and I use carb counting. I have occasionally forgotten to take my Lantus and have noticed that my fasting sugar is 250-300 mg/dl [13.9-16.7 mmol/L] and will not come down or go much higher without food during the day. Is this because I am still producing some insulin? Does the body have a way of getting rid of excess blood sugar without insulin?

The combination of Lantus (insulin glargine) and Humalog insulins controls the glucose. It's likely that the Humalog insulin is enough to keep it from going too high, but not enough to control the glucose completely. Also the levels likely rise, even with Lantus, between meals at peak of glucose about one-two hours after meals. Check that and see, and try not to forget the Lantus.