From Aiken, South Carolina, USA:

My nine year old daughter who is on Humalog, Regular and NPH in the morning and at dinner, wants to spend the night with friends. She has just learned to give her injections and draw insulin but not mix it yet, and since she metabolizes the NPH much differently at night, I'm concerned that she will be low if she stays up much later than she is used to which I know she will do. Should I reduce her insulin or increase her food intake?

If you're uncomfortable with how she will be cared for at a sleep-over, then you need to make alternate arrangements. See Camp and Sleepovers for information about sleepovers. I would suggest talking to your daughter's physician for detailed instructions on how to dose your child's insulin during a sleepover.

Posted to Other Social Issues