From Gibraltar:

My 11 year old son, diagnosed three years ago with type 1 diabetes, currently takes Mixtard insulin before breakfast, NovoRapid before his evening meal and Insulatard at bedtime. Using three different insulins means we live in fear of injecting the wrong one by mistake which indeed did happen. The obvious way to eliminate one of the insulins would be for him to go on a four injection regimen, but he is reluctant to do so, mainly because he doesn't want to have to inject at school. Could I change the morning Mixtard to a mixture of NovoRapid and Insulatard in a syringe, and thus eliminate one type of insulin? Presuming I got the right proportions, would this do the same job as the Mixtard?

Yes indeed, with the further advantage that you might be able to adjust the ratio of NovoRapid to Insulatard as needed thus making the mixture work better.