From the USA:

I've had type 1 diabetes for 21 years, and I recently started taking Lantus. How safe is Lantus? Is it better than NPH? Does it have any side effects?

With any new product, safety questions are realistic. NPH has been on the market for more than 50 years, Lantus (insulin glargine) in the US for less than one. That said, animal models have been given huge doses, for what would have been a lifetime in their systems with seemingly good safety profiles.

Is it better than NPH? It's different, maybe more predictable in action which might make it better. It can't be mixed, that makes it worse if you have to give two shots at the same time. The issue is glucose control. You have to do what is right to control your diabetes.

Posted to Insulin Analogs