Question:

From Maryland, USA:

I am a fifteen year old female, I have had diabetes for seven years, and I recently started following my prescribed diet, but now I have been getting terrible headaches. What can be causing them?

Answer:

If you were not following your diet before, then it is highly likely that you are suffering from hypoglycaemia. You should check your blood sugar when you have a headache because you may have to reduce your insulin doses, but don't do this until you know what your sugars are doing and have discussed the results with your diabetes team.

[Editor's comment: If the meal plan you are following is one prescribed when you were diagnosed (i.e. at about the age of eight), it probably is not appropriate at this stage of life. I applaud you for wanting to follow a meal plan, but please meet with your dietitian to make sure the one you are currently using is right for you. SS]

Posted to Aches and Pains