Question:

From Pilot Point, Texas, USA:

My 14 year old daughter, who has hypoglycemia, says that she has been getting dizzy, lightheaded and nauseous after sprinting (for track). She tested her blood sugar today, and it was 152 mg/dl [8.4 mmol/L] an hour after a bowl of frosted mini-wheats and about 20 minutes of running. She said this happens a lot, but usually not bad enough to make her stop and test. Her father, grandfather, and great-grandfather, are/or have type 1 diabetes. We only look for low blood sugars. Should we be looking for highs too?

Answer:

I would suggest reviewing your child's blood sugars with her physician. A blood sugar of 152 mg/dl [8.4 mmol/L] can represent a problem.