Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from March 2002

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My five son year old has type 1 diabetes, we live in a rural area, and the daycare will not attend to my child. They will not do anything besides call 911 if he falls ill -- no readings, no shots, nothing. The daycare claims it's because of insurance reasons. Is this legal? (31 Mar 2002)

2. Recently, my daughter had a seizure from low blood sugar, and I am concerned because this happened at night. How can we stop this from happening again? (31 Mar 2002)

3. My son has had diabetes for more than two years, and we still don't have it under control. If he is not having mild hypos, he is having high readings. At lunch time three days ago, he was feeling dizzy at school then by tea-time his reading was high and has been having very high readings ever since in the afternoons and evenings, with no ketones. Help! (31 Mar 2002)

4. We have been recently told by a psychologist that my nine year old son, who has type 1 diabetes, could also have ADD. Can his high blood sugar make it difficult for him to concentrate? Could this be mimicking signs of ADD? (31 Mar 2002)

5. My 12 year old daughter, who is using Lantus with NovoRapid, has a very high blood sugar each morning and often at 3:00 am, but the rest of the day she is doing well so I'm afraid of the risk of hypoglycemia if I raise her Lantus. How can control the dawn phenomenon without risking hypoglycemia the rest of the day? (31 Mar 2002)

6. My 42 year old brother passed away, his formal inquest was postponed at the family's request because of an inconclusive result on an insulin test, and a sample of his blood is now being tested for insulin at a major medical center. The lawyer we have representing the family at the inquest told us that it looks as if suicide or criminal action are the choices which may be given to the inquest panel. I have several questions. (31 Mar 2002)

7. My 11 year old only son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about three months ago and treated with pre-mixed insulin, has more or less with an acceptable range of blood sugars and is at present doing moderate exercise consisting of 45 minutes of walking daily.Can he switch to two walking sessions, one early in the morning and one which he is continuing ? (31 Mar 2002)

8. I am 46 years old, I have had diabetes since I was 18, and I take insulin. People who have diabetes and suffer from comas, due to not eating enough sugars -- how does this affect their health? (31 Mar 2002)

9. I am concerned that my 10 year old daughter has possible hypoglycemia. My daughter does have a problem with concentrating on anything, and is not overweight, but she started having problems with acne, and mood swings. Is 44 mg/dl [2.4 mmol/L] that low for a very active 10 year old girl? (31 Mar 2002)

10. I have diabetes, and I am concerned because my eight week old baby girl wants water or milk every two hours instead of every four to five, sweats a lot, and had only put a pound on since birth. If I check her sugars with my machine, what is a baby's normal sugar level? (30 Mar 2002)

11. My five year old son, who has had diabetes about a year, sometimes has extremely high blood sugars which we cannot relate to insulin, food or stress, and I recently read something about the influence of growth hormone. Can you tell me something more about the influence of these hormones on my five year old son's blood sugars? (30 Mar 2002)

12. I was doing some research on diabetes for my husband who was recently diagnosed when I came across information pertaining to children with diabetes. We tested our children with our home testing kit, my three year old registered 157 mg/dl [8.7 mmol/L] and my eight year old was 142 mg/dl [7.9 mmol/L], both of which were higher than my reading. Is this normal? How do you determine what is a good level for them? (30 Mar 2002)

13. My two and a half year old daughter's fasting blood sugars (on two separate days) were 197 mg/dl [10.9 mmol/L] and 89 mg/dl [4.9 mmol/L] on the glucose monitor, but the test that checks for the past three months was normal. Her doctor says there is nothing to worry about, but my daughter drinks all the time, and I get up twice during the night to take her to the restroom. Should I be worried? Is my daughter's doctor right? Should I ask her doctor to give us a referral to a specialist? (30 Mar 2002)

14. I am a 51 year old male diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 11 months ago, and since then I've lost 83 pounds, and my fasting sugar is normal, but now I'm finding my levels after eating are somewhat elevated. However, after I do my 35 to 40 minutes of walking, my level drops to low normal, then an hour later it goes back up to normal. Is this normal? (30 Mar 2002)

15. My five year old son has type 1 diabetes, diagnosed at 15 months of age, my other son is two months old, and my wife does not have enough milk. Is it okay to give him formula, such as S-26, that you can buy at the supermarket? (30 Mar 2002)

16. My 11 year old only son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about three months ago, has more or less with an acceptable range of blood sugars, but he usually passes two to three stools in a day, and a course of de-worming him has shown very little improvement.His stool test was normal. Any qualified advice? (30 Mar 2002)

17. I am 46 years old, I have had diabetes since I was 18, and I take insulin. How does diabetes affect the heart? (30 Mar 2002)

18. I have three children, I have hypoglycemia along with Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and we have family history of endocrine diseases. What is the typical time line for development of type 1 or type 2 diabetes? Are there any precursors? With a family history of endocrine diseases what, if anything, should be noted or tested for during my children's routine physicals? (30 Mar 2002)

19. My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes four weeks ago and has returned to her small parochial school where she is a sixth grader. Any suggestions as to how to make school a normal every day activity as before her diagnosis? (29 Mar 2002)

20. I have type 2 diabetes managed with diet and exercise, and my last three A1c levels are in the 6.3 - 6.7% range with fasting blood sugars are within range, but my post meal sugars are somewhat elevated. Should I be worried about my peak levels? Should I start taking some kind of medication? Am I okay as long as I keep my A1c within 7% range? (29 Mar 2002)

21. I work at an institution for the developmentally disabled, and there are not many people with diabetes here, but we have recently gotten a 20 year old woman with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes, and the physicians are a little rusty on prescribing dosages. The only insulin regimen they are using is Regular and NPH. How do we calculate an insulin dose? (29 Mar 2002)

22. My 11 year old only son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about three months ago and treated with pre-mixed insulin, has more or less with an acceptable range of blood sugars, but he has a general feeling of hunger throughout the day. Can we increase his intake of food as long as his blood sugar level and weight remain controlled? (29 Mar 2002)

23. My 14 year old daughter is on Humalog four times a daily and Ultralente, manages her care relatively well and has been invited to an all-night lock-in at school. They will remain awake until about 5:00 am and will be playing games and dancing most of the night. How do we prepare for this? (29 Mar 2002)

24. When someone is diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and is put on medication for many years but then requires insulin, are they then considered to have type 1 or type 2 diabetes? (29 Mar 2002)

25. I would like information on Lantus, but I can't seem to find any. Where can I find more information on new types of insulin? (29 Mar 2002)

26. Neither my eight year old nor 11 year old sons are overweight, but there is a strong family history of diabetes on his father's side. I was told and under the impression that when diabetes was primarily carried by the female it would be passed on to the children and so on. Should I be worried? (29 Mar 2002)

27. I recently read that girls who start puberty at a very early ago are at risk for health problem, but it didn't mention what type of problems. Is there a link between starting menstruation at nine years of age and developing diabetes later in life? (29 Mar 2002)

28. My friend's six year old daughter has had type1 diabetes for the past four years, and I remember reading in some medical journal about recent advances in the surgery by which insulin generating glands can be transplanted especially in the young children. Will you please throw some light on it and send me details if it's true? (29 Mar 2002)

29. My son is on a constant carb diet, and I was told it was okay to pick foods with sugar, so I give him these treats only in moderation. He is thin so they said not to worry too much about the fat. However, as time goes by, his glucose numbers seem to be rising. Is it okay to be giving him these kinds of foods in his meal plan? Could the higher fat foods be causing higher blood sugars? (29 Mar 2002)

30. My 16 year old friend, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age two, has been feeling very ill. Her lymph nodes are very swollen, and she gets tired very easily, but she had multiple blood tests done, and everything is negative, except for a very high blood glucose. I know this is bad, but what exactly does this mean? (29 Mar 2002)

31. For the past seven years I have been taking Humulin insulins, but was put on Novolin insulins on two separate occasions, and both times I noticed a severe increase in my blood sugar levels. My doctor and specialist both say that it does not happen, but it happened to me and Eli Lilly said that it does as well. Can you direct me as to who or where I should look to find out more on this? (28 Mar 2002)

32. My three and a half year old granddaughter was diagnosed with type 1 about two and a half months ago, and her sugar levels have been running quite high. What are the long term effects of her high blood sugar? (28 Mar 2002)

33. My 15 year old son has had diabetes for nine years in poor control despite our best efforts, and his growth has slowed down. His consultant thinks his growth maybe blunted since his puberty is well advanced. How common is this? What can be done to help him? Can growth hormone be given if his bones have not fused yet? (28 Mar 2002)

34. I recently lost a baby, but today I have recovered from any sorrow, can accept what I have, and I try to work out to keep me heathy, but I wonder why my blood sugar is so high after exercise. Is it normal to have high blood sugar after exercising for an hour? (28 Mar 2002)

35. My 15 year old son has always grown very slowly, and last year he had a low growth hormone level and a bone age of 12 years, but the doctor said he was not a candidate for hormone injections. She said that he had not hit puberty yet and all we could do was wait. Do you think there is something going on that we are missing? (28 Mar 2002)

36. I am a 27 year old female, and my husband and I are getting ready to try starting a family. My A1cs are running 7-8%. What does my A1c level need to be at or around? (28 Mar 2002)

37. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about eight years ago, and I recently had a C-peptide of 0.2. What does this mean? (28 Mar 2002)

38. I have several home glucose monitors, and I can test at the same time from the same finger and get an 80 mg/dl [4.4 mmol/L] difference between the three monitors, while at other times they'll all be right on. How do I know if they are trustworthy? (28 Mar 2002)

39. My 17 year old son, who has had type 1 diabetes for five years, is interested in becoming a Certified Lifeguard. He is an excellent swimmer, competes on his high school team and is in excellent control. Can a person with type 1 diabetes become a Certified Lifeguard? (27 Mar 2002)

40. I am 38 weeks pregnant with my third child. I had gestational diabetes during my first two pregnancies, and I developed type 2 diabetes little over two years ago. I am frustrated because one of my doctors wants me to start insulin "as a precautionary measure". (27 Mar 2002)

41. A year ago, my son started with problems with his sugar, and his endocrinologist said his pancreas was producing too much insulin. So I started monitoring his sugar, which has fluctuated so much, and recent tests showed his pancreas is now producing very little insulin. The doctor has put him on a sugar free diet and wants to run more tests, but I think by this time we should be looking into insulin. (27 Mar 2002)

42. My three year old son's preschool notified me that his urine is bright yellow, that he is drinking excessively, and that he is squinting his eyes. Two weeks ago he a low blood glucose level. What can I do to find out what is wrong with my son? Can diabetes be an issue here? (27 Mar 2002)

43. I am a 17 year old female, and I think I may have diabetes because I need to urinate frequently, and I am always thirsty and drinking water. I am also always feeling tired, although I have felt this way for a while. I'm not sure if I should go to my doctor as these are the only symptoms I have. (27 Mar 2002)

44. About once a month, my 10 year old son gets up in the morning with a stomachache, and his hands are a little shaky. He eats a piece of toast or some yogurt while laying down, and after a few minutes he will vomit several times. He take a nap for 30 minutes to an hour, then eat a regular meal and he is okay for the day.. Which type of diabetes do these symptoms represent? (27 Mar 2002)

45. I've had type 1 diabetes for 22 years, now I am about 150 pounds overweight, and I have a hard time exercising because I also have spinal stenosis. My doctor told me that maybe I should try a liquid diet. There is a hospital here that offers that treatment, but I'm not sure that is a good way to lose weight. (27 Mar 2002)

46. What effects can diabetes have on a child's all round development? (26 Mar 2002)

47. For the past couple of days, we have noticed that our seven year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes six months ago, has itchy bright round red marks about the size of a quarter on her thigh where she has had her injections. Could she be allergic to the insulin? (26 Mar 2002)

48. My nine year old son, who has had type 1 diabetes for seven years, had a blood sugar of 60 mg/dl [3.3 mmol/L], and as he was sitting down and taking his first bite of cereal, he had a seizure. I'm very perplexed about this. Could he have seized earlier in the night and was able to come out of it naturally, yet was still low and vulnerable to another seizure? (26 Mar 2002)

49. What is the difference (if there is one) between increased insulin resistance and decreased insulin sensitivity? Under what conditions are these terms appropriately used? (26 Mar 2002)

50. Our 10 year old girl has just been diagnosed with early stages of diabetes. She is a DPT-1 participant and was caught early during a routine intravenous GTT. What preventative studies are available to her in this age range? (26 Mar 2002)

51. How does peanut butter fit into a meal plan for people with diabetes? Can someone with diabetes eat it without experiencing any problems? (26 Mar 2002)

52. My eight year old son was recently told that he is not allowed to test his blood sugar while on the school bus. I'm not exactly sure, but isn't this discrimination? Is this covered under the ADA? If so, can anyone point me to the actual text? (26 Mar 2002)

53. My 22 month old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes five months ago, and I am four weeks pregnant and am wondering, if I miscarry is there any use of a miscarried baby to help my 22 month old? (26 Mar 2002)

54. My 13 year old daughter, who has had type 1 diabetes for about three months, started her monthly period for the first time about five months before diagnosis, and approximately two months later, she had another, but she hasn't had another period since. Should I be concerned that her irregularity may be coming from her diabetes? Is this just normal at her age? (25 Mar 2002)

55. I am a 19 year old college freshman, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about three and a half years ago, and I was considering the pump, but I am worried about physical activity. I am worried that if I want to exercise or play sports with friends in my free time, the pump will be bumped and cause damage or pain. Is the pump a good idea if I plan on participating in physical activity with friends? (25 Mar 2002)

56. I have type 1 diabetes. Is there a pill I can take by mouth, instead of (25 Mar 2002)

57. A few weeks ago, my 11 year old daughter, just diagnosed about two months ago, began losing quite a bit of hair. Her thyroid test was normal, and the doctor said it could be hormones, but I think it's more likely caused by the stress her body has gone through. Can you explain the hormone relationship to hair growth or loss? What kind of a time frame am I looking at with this? (25 Mar 2002)

58. Our almost five year old daughter has been diagnosed with hypoglycemia, and we have a family history of diabetes on both sides. We would like to know more about hypoglycemia (the symptoms, how to treat them, what to eat or not to eat) and if this condition could lead our daughter to diabetes. Also, our daughter is having some "attitude" problems at school and at home which seem to be when she does not eat for an hour or two. Could these be part of the hypoglycemia? (25 Mar 2002)

59. My son, diagnosed at 13 months of age, cannot verbally tell me how he feels even if he knew what he was feeling, so we rely on frequent testing. Why do we use blood glucose testing instead of another way of testing glucose used in the body? (25 Mar 2002)

60. My sister's three year old has had numerous febrile seizures. Could the seizures be somehow related to low blood sugar or diabetes? (25 Mar 2002)

61. My 31 year old brother is currently being tested for diabetes and has to do regular blood sugar tests at home. He has been told to get in touch with the hospital if his reading is above 9 mmol/L [162 mg/dl], and when he did a sample test on me (age 34) my reading was 10.5 mmol/L [189 mg/dl]. However, I do not consider that I have any of the symptoms, despite being overweight. Should I be concerned? (25 Mar 2002)

62. My six year old is now on about five insulin injections a day using the B-D mini pen, which she says doesn't hurt, but she's getting "tough" skin. I have asked her endocrinologist about the Insuflon catheter, but he recommends a jet injector, and I have heard jet injectors aren't always accurate. What do you recommend? (25 Mar 2002)

63. I recently read somewhere that it is believed that a cure for diabetes has been found, and that it was hoped to have 'the cure' out on the market within 10 years. I can't remember the specifics of my resources, but two doctors from a university in Canada had been working and testing with animals for years. Do you know anything about this? (24 Mar 2002)

64. It is time to replace my daughter's NPH (we change bottles every 30 days), and for the past few days, in spite of reducing the dose, she is still going low. The NPH doesn't look clumpy or anything and her routine and food intake haven't changed. Have you ever known NPH to cause lows when it was going bad? (24 Mar 2002)

65. I have type 1 diabetes and have noticed that my friend has started to show symptoms, so I checked her blood sugars which were 7.1 and 8 mmol/L [127 and 144 mg/dl]. Should I encourage her to see a doctor? (24 Mar 2002)

66. I am a 33 year old with type 1 diabetes who has been on a pump for three months, and my problem is that I get burned out with my diabetes. At times I feel I need a break and can't seem to make myself take care of my diabetes. What can I do? (24 Mar 2002)

67. I have hypoglycemia, and a doctor told me that I should cut out all sugars in my diet, but I have also been told that I should carry some barley sugars in my purse and if when I feel faint I should drink orange juice or a can of Coke. I am a little confused as to what to do. (24 Mar 2002)

68. My 10 year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two years ago, has just recently been diagnosed with migraines and tension-type headaches. While the general consensus is that there is no connection between diabetes and headaches, her headaches seem to be much worse when there is a big fluctuation in her sugar levels. Is there any information regarding migraines, headaches and diabetes? (24 Mar 2002)

69. My daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes three months ago, has a diabetes team, but we seem to have problems with communication. Is it unreasonable to expect a return call from the diabetes team within 24 hours? (24 Mar 2002)

70. My 14 year old daughter does not have diabetes but has been diagnosed with insulin resistance and has been told that if she does not lose weight to control her insulin she will indeed have type 2 diabetes. Has Glucophage been approved for use in teenagers who are insulin resistant? (24 Mar 2002)

71. My 14 year old sister, who has had type 1 diabetes for almost three years, is moody and has a big temper. Could this have anything to do with diabetes? (23 Mar 2002)

72. I have had type 1 diabetes for about a year along with ulcerative colitis, and I was managing both very well until about two months ago when I had a flare up of colitis and was put on high dose prednisone. I have an uncontrollable urge to eat all the time, even when I full. Is there anything that I can do to ease the cravings? (23 Mar 2002)

73. I recall reading an article that raised the question or linked type 1 diabetes with birth month with July and August being most frequent. I believe the study was done in Sweden or Norway. Do you have any more information? (23 Mar 2002)

74. Please lead me to references that will explain the differences in the glycemic index for each type of food and why (such as why bananas and grapes have a higher glycemic index than apples and oranges). (23 Mar 2002)

75. I am 28 years old, recently diagnosed with diabetes, and my physician has me testing twice a day. However, although I work full-time, I have no health insurance or any financial recourse for the strips used for testing, and the cheapest strips the I can find are about $90 for 100 of them. Any suggestion on where I can purchase them or receive some help with the cost? (23 Mar 2002)

76. I am 21 years old, I have type 1 diabetes, and I have trouble controlling my blood sugar levels, having twice been admitted to ICU for ketoacidosis. I have a good diet and all the rest but need help. Could a pump help to regulate my blood sugar levels better? (23 Mar 2002)

77. My son now uses Lantus at bedtime and Humalog with carb counting for all meals/snacks, but his A1c was 11% last week, and we were shocked. He hasn't been in good control since diagnosis, but even his last A1c was 9%, so we felt with the new insulin regimen and careful monitoring, it would be better. Is there a connection there? Would we see a result is we requested another test in a month? (23 Mar 2002)

78. My friend takes pills and cocaine despite the fact he has type 1 diabetes. I am aware of all the effects of street drugs, but are there any other different effects he may encounter with his condition? (23 Mar 2002)

79. My 12 year old son, who has had type 1 diabetes since he was six, is very active, but his counts vary so much up and down. Is this common for his age? He has an excellent doctor, but my son does not live with me so I don't have a lot of contact with his doctor. (21 Mar 2002)

80. My grandfather, who has diabetes treated with pills, also has non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, and his doctors want to put him on prednisone which will make his sugar requiring insulin therapy. His two doctors seem to disagree. What problems are there with prednisone in a person with type 2 diabetes? (21 Mar 2002)

81. Even with constant care, attention, supervision and diet, my 10 year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age four, continues to have highs and lows, has been hospitalized a few times, and continues to have trouble with weight gain. Otherwise, he is a normal active little boy. Is this normal? Can you give any advice or suggestions as to what might be wrong and why? (21 Mar 2002)

82. When we visited my husband's family, his mother seemed to be concerned that he is taking too much insulin. I have already explained that eating sweets are okay, but now she she has heard that it is not good for you to take too much insulin and seems to think the additional amount of insulin required to cover sweets is going to amount to too much. What is you opinion of taking extra insulin to cover sweets? (21 Mar 2002)

83. My eight year old daughter has had diabetes for four years, and I am looking for information regarding the sugar content of common oral medications that may be prescribed for a child with a normal childhood infection. What is the sugar content of Amoxil suspension? (21 Mar 2002)

84. I am 13 years old, and while I do not have diabetes, for the past week I have been urinating frequently, have lost 13 pounds, and I'm hungry and thirsty. My mother dismissed my idea, saying I was being dramatic and it's just the flu. Should I ask to be tested for diabetes? (21 Mar 2002)

85. My 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes seven months ago, and I am a firm believer in vitamins, but I am just not sure what is right for her. What vitamin supplements, if any, can I give her to help her body out as she grows up to hopefully minimize some problems with heart, kidneys, circulation, eyesight, etc.? (21 Mar 2002)

86. My nine year old son went to our family doctor because of a six pound weight loss, and his T-4 was low, but his TSH was fine. So, the doctor sent my son to an endocrinologist, who did some blood sugars and said that he thought that my son had early onset diabetes. What are the chances that my son has diabetes? (21 Mar 2002)

87. I have been on Lantus and Humalog for three months, and I still have extreme lows every night about 3:30 am which wake me up. I have tried changing my bedtime snack, and if I decrease my Lantus dosage then the rest of my day does not go well. (21 Mar 2002)

88. I am a 38 year old flight attendant who has just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and my problem is I am unable to eat regularly scheduled meals. What are some things I can carry with me on trips, that need no refrigeration, that I can eat or snack on to keep me from having highs and lows because of sporadic meals? (20 Mar 2002)

89. I am a 44 year old male who has had type 2 diabetes for just over three years and have also been diagnosed with high blood pressure for a number of years. Is it possible for the symptoms of diabetes to in effect correct themselves over a period of time? (20 Mar 2002)

90. My seven year old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes about 10 months ago, and things went really well until she got Bell's palsy four months later. She was very angry, and we worked really hard with her and her emotions. Now her face is back to about 80%, and she is having a lot of behavior issues in school. Any advice would be appreciated. (20 Mar 2002)

91. My 14 year old old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 10 months, has not been taking very good care of her basic diabetes needs, and it is almost as if she were trying to forget about having diabetes. In the last eight to nine months, I have discovered she has begun to self-mutilate. Is there any correlation between diabetes and self-mutilation? (20 Mar 2002)

92. My son recently started pump therapy. Although we have always counted carbs from the beginning (Before the pump we simply used carb exchanges.), now we are using grams of carbohydrate, and I seem to be having problems with the school cafeteria providing the carb counts. Can the school place food on their menus with no nutritional information available? Is there anything I can do to require the school to provide this information ahead of time so that he can eat what the other kids are eating? (20 Mar 2002)

93. My 11 year old granddaughter, who is thin and athletic, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last week, but everything seems geared to type 1. It will be a while before the endocrinologist can see her. The dietitian said her diet is good and had no real suggestions for us. Could you tell me a source for finding out information about children with type 2 diabetes? (20 Mar 2002)

94. I have type 2 diabetes, and recently I have been having symptoms of low blood sugar, but when I do the test my meter reading is high. I eat two pieces of hard candy, and it lowers my blood sugar instead of raising it. Why is this occurring? (20 Mar 2002)

95. My 20 year old nephew was just told by his doctor that his protein level is too high, and he was given a prescription. He is physically fit not overweight, works out three to four times a week and eats rather well since he is in college studying to be a chef. Are there any vitamins or diet programs he should try? Is there any record of anyone getting this condition under control with diet and vitamin supplements? (20 Mar 2002)

96. My nine year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes three years ago, gets NPH and Humalog at dinner, but has chronically high numbers in the morning. shot. If I give her too much NPH at dinner, she goes low during the night, rebounds and wakes up high. If I give her less, the NPH conks out around 4:00 am, and she goes high. Are there any answers to this problem? (20 Mar 2002)

97. My adult daughter is on an insulin pump with Humalog but would like to take a break from the pump and try Lantus with Humalog. How are they calculating the Lantus dosage during transition? How long should pump delivery be halted before starting Lantus? What is the incidence of hypoglycemia with Lantus? (20 Mar 2002)

98. My almost four year old is always thirsty, urinates a lot, is hungry a lot, but has not lost weight. I have tested his urine sugar, and it has always been negative. I have never tested first thing in the morning, but I suspect he is okay. What do you think? (19 Mar 2002)

99. My eight year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes three months ago, was initially under control, but currently when I check her urine, it shows 4+ glucose when her blood sugar is 143 mg/dl [7.9 mmol/L]. How it is this possible? (19 Mar 2002)

100. My seven year old son is repeating the first grade because he didn't do well last year. However, since his recently-diagnosed diabetes is under control, the teacher suggested that perhaps he didn't do well last year because of the impending diabetes. What do you think? (19 Mar 2002)

101. I am now taking Meridia. Is this safe for people with diabetes? (19 Mar 2002)

102. My 56 year old retired husband, who is very active, has been told that he has a high blood sugar. We are reading labels and trying to control this by diet, but I read a recent article about the thiazolidinediones. Will they work for him? What are the side effects? (19 Mar 2002)

103. I have type 2 diabetes and take Starlix if I know I am going to eat a lot of carb, but my three-hour postprandial blood sugar seems to be higher than my two-hour post-prandial blood sugar. What would cause my three-hour postprandial blood sugar to be higher than my two-hour postprandial blood sugar? (19 Mar 2002)

104. I have a BMI of 37, we have a family history of type 2 diabetes, and I had gestational diabetes. While my almost three year old son is normal for height and weight, his BMI is under the fifth percentile for his age Do you think he could have something going on with diabetes? (19 Mar 2002)

105. I was just told today that I have insulin resistance, and I am wondering about the use of Glucophage for this problem. Is Glucophage intended for use in insulin resistance? Do I need to be checking my blood sugar regularly? (19 Mar 2002)

106. About three months ago, my father, who had type 1 diabetes had tests which revealed three vessel disease in his heart and a 90% blockage of his carotid artery. He had the right carotid angioplasty a couple of weeks later, but developed several complications and passed away before being operated on for coronary bypass. (19 Mar 2002)

107. My diabetes is controlled, but I have burning in my feet. I don't know if this problem is diabetes-related since I have had foot surgery (which did not help). I don't know what to do any more or what type of doctor to see. (19 Mar 2002)

108. My 11 year old just started on an insulin pump, plays soccer in the youth recreation league, and our pump educator says she should wear her pump while playing. Does the league have the right to keep her from wearing it while playing? (18 Mar 2002)

109. My two year old daughter was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and I am managing her blood sugar at home now, but lately it seems as though her blood sugars have been low, and when she got sick recently, I did not give her any Insulin and her blood sugars were normal. Could she just be going through her honeymoon period? (18 Mar 2002)

110. My nine year old son, who has had type 1 diabetes for three years, is still no nearer to becoming "stable". His diabetes team does not seem to know what they are talking about and have never managed to get his diabetes under control. Do you think we ever will? (18 Mar 2002)

111. I am 26 years old, one-quarter Native American, I have a BMI of 37, I had gestational diabetes. I have a family history of type 2 diabetes and had developed borderline hypoglycemia when I was 18 years old. Which test should I suggest my doctor do to determine if I have type 2 diabetes? (18 Mar 2002)

112. When my 11 year old daughter was at the doctor's, she noticed the dark skin on my daughter's neck and under her arms. She asked about a family history of diabetes (which we have) and, after also noting that my daughter is overweight, the doctor now wants to test her for diabetes. Can you shed any light on this? (18 Mar 2002)

113. If my 12 year old son has a high blood sugar, and we give a corrective dose of insulin, what can we reasonably expect of his ability to do homework and take a test at school? We want him to learn how to work despite not feeling great, yet we want to be fair with him. (18 Mar 2002)

114. I have type 2 diabetes treated with pills, and about three months ago I started power yoga classes about four times weekly. My problem is that this exercise elevates my fasting blood sugars, and then it doesn't drop for two to three hours. What can I do to reduce these sugars after exercise? Do the elevations take care of themselves? (18 Mar 2002)

115. I was just diagnosed with type I diabetes yesterday, and I a physically fit 31 year old male. What is going on here? Is this common? Is it possible I've been misdiagnosed? (18 Mar 2002)

116. Can glucose tablets be used sublingually? Do they need to be chewed in order to improve absorption? What is better to use, glucose tablets or juice? (18 Mar 2002)

117. Would you please tell me about sports for people with diabetes? (18 Mar 2002)

118. How is Novolog different from Humalog? Clearly it is different from Regular, but why do people report having more stable results using Novolog in the insulin pump than they do using Humalog? (17 Mar 2002)

119. Is there a relationship between alcoholism and diabetes? (17 Mar 2002)

120. One of my friends told me that when you drink alcohol you are not supposed to take insulin to lower your blood sugar. Is this true? (17 Mar 2002)

121. Our three and a half year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 at 12 months, is currently on a regimen of NPH and Humalog at breakfast, and Ultralente and Humalog at dinnertime. We've noticed that she seems to need more Humalog in the morning (to cover similar amounts of carb intake) than in the evening. What factors could be contributing to this? (17 Mar 2002)

122. I'm a teenager who has diabetes, my recent A1c was 12% (which is pretty high), and now my parents are freaking out about the whole thing. They think that I don't know what to do to fix it. It's like they don't know that I know I can handle my own disease, and it's really frustrating! What am I supposed to do to prove to them that I know what to do? (17 Mar 2002)

123. My 11 old daughter developed brown colored skin under both armpits which the dermatologist said is associated with people who have diabetes, but she has no symptoms of diabetes. However, three or four times, she was pale when she woke up with pale face, and was sweaty and hungry. Does this sound like diabetes? How do we test for it? (17 Mar 2002)

124. I am a 45 year old male with uncontrolled (blood glucose 18-25 mmol/L [180-450 mg/dl] or more) type 2 diabetes for the past 15 years, and nothing seems to work. Also, I was recently diagnosed with chronic hepatitis and lately, I've had a lot of gastrointestinal symptoms alone with high urine protein and ketones. Can any one explain why I have high urine protein and ketone readings? Is it malabsorption or ketosis or anything else? (17 Mar 2002)

125. How do you know when you need to change carb/insulin ratio and your correction bolus? Do you go by weight? (17 Mar 2002)

126. Lately I've had a lot of problems with large air bubbles in the syringe at the top of the syringe near the needle when mixing Humalog with NPH. What should I do? (17 Mar 2002)

127. My seven year old had extremely high insulin and cortisone levels so her doctor referred her to an endocrinologist. What causes this? (17 Mar 2002)

128. My a nine and a half year old son was diagnosed with hypoglycemia a couple of years ago which was maintained well with a regular snack schedule and glucose monitoring, but a few months ago, he developed impaired glucose tolerance. This is extremely hard to control because my son also is underweight, has ADHD, and takes Adderall and Remeron to improve appetite and sleep patterns. I have found very little information on this condition in children. We are still in a wait and see stage, what else would you suggest? (17 Mar 2002)

129. What Palm Pilot blood glucose monitoring programs, with a printout feature, are available/recommended? (17 Mar 2002)

130. I am a 16 year old male, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of two and I have noticed that I haven't really been maturing as much as my friends. I know that all people have there own growth cycle, but this is getting ridiculous. I've heard somewhere that insulin is a natural steroid. If this is true does it have anything to do with it? If not what? (17 Mar 2002)

131. I am a 29 year old woman who has been living with type 1 diabetes for 18 years and on a pump for a year, and my blood sugars are in control. However, my husband and I have been trying to have a baby for one and one-half years, I am still not pregnant, and I have never had a miscarriage. Should I be concerned? (15 Mar 2002)

132. Is there a reason I shouldn't eat my meal, test afterward and then take the amount of Humalog needed? If I could inject afterward, I'd know the precise dose of Humalog to take and I wouldn't find myself too low or too high later. (15 Mar 2002)

133. My mother has had a below-the-knee amputation, and she is having swelling on her left side that runs all the way up to her breast and is very sore and tender. She has not been able to urinate or have bowel movements on a regular basis. The doctor says since she lies on her left side that the fluid is accumulating because of gravity. Does this sound logical? Do you know of something else we should ask her doctor about? (15 Mar 2002)

134. My eight month old great-grandson was life-flighted to the hospital because his breathing was very shallow, he was non-responsive, and his oxygen and blood sugar levels were low. They checked his urine which showed high acid levels, and my granddaughter has to check hie urine for ketones, but no one told her what they mean. Are ketones caused by diabetes? (15 Mar 2002)

135. My three year old son is being tested this week for diabetes. Needless to say my wife and I are terrified of the pending results. What is the mortality rate of young children with diabetes? Will it still be possible for him to lead a full and normal life? (15 Mar 2002)

136. I am 15 years old, am preparing to go on a mission trip to Mexico, and I will be on a insulin pump. Is there anything special I need to get because of diabetes? What type of papers will I need in order to cross the border with my supplies? (15 Mar 2002)

137. The school refused to administer insulin to my seven year old daughter so I sent my 19 year old daughter to be there for the day to administer insulin, but the school would not allow her to stay there. They were going to arrest my oldest daughter and take her to jail if she did not leave. Do we not have the right to sit in the classroom? (15 Mar 2002)

138. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a week ago exactly, but my physician hasn't put me on insulin yet because he wants me to go to a endocrinologist. How soon after diagnosis can I be put on the pump? (15 Mar 2002)

139. I have type 2 diabetes, and I'm worried that my three year old daughter may have gotten diabetes from me. I checked her blood sugar with a meter and found her fasting blood sugar to be slightly high, but she is very active and has no symptoms now. Does this mean she has diabetes too? (15 Mar 2002)

140. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about eight months ago when I was in treatment for a kidney stone, but after it passed I decided to go for a second opinion, the doctor did a two-hour glucose tolerance test and old me I do not have diabetes. I have an FAA medical exam coming up soon, and I am required by law to tell the truth. Have I been officially diagnosed with diabetes? (15 Mar 2002)

141. My 14 year old daughter is in good control of her diabetes, but she has a problem waking up in the morning to go to school so she misses a lot or is late. She just seems to be losing her zip in life. Could this be a side effect of Ultralente? (14 Mar 2002)

142. After my daughter's honeymoon phase ended and her sugars crept up, the doctor increased her insulin slightly a few times, which finally brought her sugars into a normal range, and she started gaining weight immediately. Is this normal? Will the weight gain continue like this? (14 Mar 2002)

143. Three years ago, after an episode of passing out, I was taken to the hospital where my blood sugar was 249 mg/dl [13.8 mmol/L]. Since then, I have gotten a fasting blood sugar every year, and while it is always in the 80 mg/dl [4.4 mmol/L] range, I am still worried about whether I have diabetes. What do you think happened to me? (14 Mar 2002)

144. I am taking Humalog, Lantus and a medication for high blood pressure, and I am dealing with vision problems, shortness of breath,dry mouth, and heart problems. Are these side effects of the medication? (14 Mar 2002)

145. I was very overweight, had an inactive lifestyle, and I took four to five insulin shots per day for 20 years. However, after losing weight and exercising, I am now on pills, and so far, my blood sugars have been perfect. Do a lot of people successfully change from shots to pills? (14 Mar 2002)

146. My 14 year son has ADHD and diabetes, and even with Lantus and a sliding scale of Humalog, his sugars are very out of control. He is on medication for the ADHD but is still having a big problem with impulse control. He does the pokes and injections on his own but has lied about readings, skipped readings, etc. Can you give me any advice? (14 Mar 2002)

147. I was recently tested for type 1 diabetes because I have been experiencing monthly yeast infections, and my two year old daughter constantly has yeast infections and uncontrollable dry skin on the legs. Should I be concerned about this? (14 Mar 2002)

148. I'm scared. I'm 49 years old, I have type 2 diabetes diagnosed a couple of months ago, and I got my latest blood results in the mail today which said I have kidney complications. Should I be this worried? (14 Mar 2002)

149. My eight year old niece, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two years ago, has not had many problems, but now she is having trouble going to school. She absolutely refuses to go and goes into an crying fit every morning saying that her belly hurts and that she doesn't feel good. What should I do? (14 Mar 2002)

150. My 43 year old obese sister, who has type 2 diabetes and is on insulin, developed a sore on her right buttock and the doctor prescribed an antibiotic. She then developed sepsis leading to kidney and respiratory failure. Was the prescription of an antibiotic proper? (14 Mar 2002)

151. My two year old daughter was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and I am managing her blood sugar at home now. Is there a possibility that she will eventually be able to stop taking Insulin and could start taking a pill? (13 Mar 2002)

152. Seven months before my 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes she starting having ovarian cysts rupture and was finally sent to a gynecologist who decided her ovaries are not working properly, and that she most likely has polycystic ovarian syndrome. He put her on birth control pills to completely shut down her ovaries and not allow her to ever have a period. My concern is that the pills also aid in causing insulin resistance. (13 Mar 2002)

153. I am a 14 year old female who has diabetes and is on the high school track team, and many times before I run, my blood sugar will be high (normally due to adrenalin). Is this unhealthy for my body? Should I take insulin to get it down before I run? (13 Mar 2002)

154. When I started to take my insulin shots, the injection site bleeds after I have finished. Should this be happening? (13 Mar 2002)

155. My 61 year old mother, who has had type 2 diabetes for about a year and a half, thinks that eating only two fruits a day will keep her blood sugars in check and will help her lose the weight that her doctors are on her back about. Where can I find information about a diet plan for her? (13 Mar 2002)

156. I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia which resulted from my body's inability to produce cortisol or carnitine to regulate the release of insulin after I ate. My blood sugars seem to be in the low normal range with a regular eating pattern, but they often go out of range. Could this possibly lead to my developing diabetes later in life? (13 Mar 2002)

157. I am a teacher at a small school, and I have a five year old who has just been diagnosed with diabetes. How can I help him and his family and teach the children about his condition? (13 Mar 2002)

158. Three close relatives died from diabetes, and while my mother-in-law does not have it, she does have an autoimmune disorder. I am confused and concerned about the risk my two children (ages one and four) have for developing type 1 diabetes. (13 Mar 2002)

159. We have a family history of diabetes, and I'm concerned about my seven year old daughter who seems to have some symptoms. About six months ago (at her yearly exam), her doctor screened for tested her urine for diabetes which indicated no sign of the disease. I'm not reading anywhere of a procedure to screen for diabetes with a urine test. Should I have her screened with a fasting blood sugar? (13 Mar 2002)

160. A good friend of mine, who has type 2 diabetes, has been in denial until recently. Within the last couple of months, she has tried hard to eat just the right amount of carbs, take her medication, and started swimming several days a week, but her blood sugar continues high, and we do not understand. What else we can do to get it in the normal range? (13 Mar 2002)

161. My sister has an eight year old diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about a year a half ago, and she is a working lady who suffers a lot in taking care of him and his other brother who is a thirteen year old autistic child. I have two questions. (13 Mar 2002)

162. My 13 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a month ago. I am aware of the glucose monitoring that should be done before beginning exercise, but I havenīt found an exercise plan with clear goals. How much and which type of exercise should she be doing? (13 Mar 2002)

163. My stepson's mother has convinced him that he should pack both of his insulins in his diabetes bag every day, but he often forgets to put an ice pack with it, and by the end of the day, it is obviously warm. Does the insulin lose potency faster when its temperature changes on a daily basis? (13 Mar 2002)

164. Does temperature affect the sugar level? (12 Mar 2002)

165. My 21 year old son has type 1 diabetes and is having some problems keeping his weight up. His regular doctor makes suggestions about his diet such as whole milk and more carbs. How come he keeps losing weight? Does he have a condition that needs to be looked at? (12 Mar 2002)

166. I am a 21 year old student who has had type 1 diabetes for about 12 years. Recently, my doctor has begun to mention insulin analogs. How can I find more information? (12 Mar 2002)

167. I am 40 years old, my TSH is 0.04, and I am currently taking.225 mg of thyroid hormone per day. I am having a hard time losing weight. I am gaining even though I am eating minimal and exercising. Do you think this should be increased or decreased? (12 Mar 2002)

168. My four year old son, who has diabetes, complains of headaches and stomach aches enough to be concerned about it. I don't want to ignore symptoms if there is something to be concerned about, especially since he can be more susceptible to developing other autoimmune diseases and/or certain complications due to diabetes. Should this be a concern? If so, what will need to be done? (12 Mar 2002)

169. My four year old daughter suffers from very erratic blood sugar levels, but her doctor does not see it as a problem. She does not show signs of becoming hypoglycemic even when she reaches low blood sugar values. This is extremely worrisome as are her highs. Do you think I should seek a second opinion? (12 Mar 2002)

170. I am 14 years of age, I have type 1 diabetes, and I am currently using pen injections, but a pump looks more comfortable and more convenient. Is it available in the UK? If it isn't, could you please tell me how else I could get this and how much it would cost in pounds, preferably. Would it be worthwhile for me to get this or would sticking to a pen injection be a safer option? (12 Mar 2002)

171. I am a 58 year old male who weighs 235 pounds, and my close family has several people with diabetes, but I have never quite fallen into the category. However, I do monitor my fasting blood glucoses two mornings a week. Should I be concerned that it sometimes drops to the low end of the normal range? (12 Mar 2002)

172. What foods are low in fructose? (12 Mar 2002)

173. My fiance has type 1 diabetes, and since diagnosis it has been very well managed, but he is now having difficulty because of his work schedule. We find it almost most impossible to keep his blood sugar down. Could the stress and extreme tiredness his job puts him under be having an effect on his blood sugar level? How we might be able to manage this? (12 Mar 2002)

174. I am 45 years old, I have hypothyroidism, and I was diagnosed with diabetes about a year ago, but I don't understand how I have developed type 1 diabetes at my age. (12 Mar 2002)

175. I am a volunteer with the Big Brothers/Big Sister Organization, and my Little Sister has diabetes, but I'm getting inadequate information from her mom regarding how many carbohydrates she should have during a day. I am concerned that I won't give her an appropriately balanced diet while she's with me. Is there a general number of carbohydrates I should aim for when planning our days together? (12 Mar 2002)

176. Yesterday, my 11 year old daughter, who has type 1 diabetes, was told she was borderline for thyroid disease, which the doctors say is common with people with type 1 diabetes. We will have her tested again in three months, but I am a very worried mother. (10 Mar 2002)

177. My 12 year old grandson, diagnosed about one and a half years ago with diabetes, has continued substantial and frequent fluctuations in glucose levels, and there is considerable controversy in the family about the effects of carbs, proteins, and fats on this pre-teen. If he needs more food, wouldn't it be better to allow him a few extra proteins rather than carbs which, of course, he often craves? (10 Mar 2002)

178. My four year old son is on multiple injections of Lantus in the morning and Humalog with meals, and while his blood sugars during the day are within normal limits, he has a rise from 9:00 pm-midnight. I have tried mixing Regular with Humalog at dinner, and changing his dinner meal to low-fat, low glycemic meals. High fat meals make the rise worse. I like using Lantus, but what can I add to it to help the rise? (10 Mar 2002)

179. My four year old nephew was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and while there is no history of diabetes on either side of his family, there is a high incidence of thyroid problems on both sides. Is there any correlation between the two? (10 Mar 2002)

180. My aunt, who is a senior citizen and has type 2 diabetes, has been taking Glucovance for over a year, and when she went for a checkup, another doctor told her to stop using it immediately because it was recalled. Can you tell me if Glucovance has been recalled? (10 Mar 2002)

181. I am a nurse and am raising three grandchildren, one of whom has severe hypoglycemia, and I have several questions. (10 Mar 2002)

182. My 15 year old daughter has recurrent abscesses on her legs that heal very slowly. She does get halitosis, but we thought this was coming from her tonsils or sinuses. She does not have thirst or an increase in urination. Should I have her tested? (10 Mar 2002)

183. When my blood sugar drops like from high to the normal range, I feel low. What can I do to prevent my body from thinking it has low blood sugar? (10 Mar 2002)

184. A friend of mine is having a vein transplanted from part of her leg to an artery lower in the leg to improve circulation. I know diabetes causes damage to arteries that create many complications. Are veins also susceptible to the same kind of damage that occurs in arteries? (10 Mar 2002)

185. Since the dietitian said that "a carb is a carb", whether it is something sweet or a carb that is not sweet, my daughter is constantly wanting her snacks to be sweets even though all her blood sugars are high. What are your thoughts on this? (10 Mar 2002)

186. Our four year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about 14 months ago, and my wife and I get a lot of conflicting information from his diabetes team about what his glucose level should be. What is a safe blood sugar for a four year old? (9 Mar 2002)

187. My six year old did her OLSAT with a normal blood sugar and got referred to the gifted program, but when follow up in school tests were done she was tested four times out of six with elevated blood sugars, and now she seems to miss the program by one question. Now I am blaming myself for letting them test her when she was high and feel that, if I have demanded normal blood sugars, she would have done better. (9 Mar 2002)

188. Overall, our 10 year old daughter is quite responsible in the daily management of her diabetes. Our family's philosophy on eating is to eat healthy foods and that sweets are okay in moderate amounts, but when it comes to sweets she is prone to sneak them. Any thoughts on what might be happening here? How can we better support her? (9 Mar 2002)

189. I have been on an insulin pump for about two years, and suddenly I am needing twice as much insulin! I was on a 1 unit to 15 grams of carb ratio; now it is 1 unit for 30 grams of carb. (9 Mar 2002)

190. My best friend has diabetes, and we were wondering what the cost of diabetes is to the Australian community. (9 Mar 2002)

191. I have had type 1 diabetes for seven years, and, about six months ago, I was experiencing symptoms like menopause, and after testing, the doctors found I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, but no one can seem to understand how I have type 1 diabetes and PCOS. They decided to check for GAD antibodies, and the level was 5.3. Any input? (9 Mar 2002)

192. I have been recently told I have type 2 diabetes, and I have continuous pain in my penis and a small bump on it. I have told my doctor about this who tells me it's related to diabetes. Should I question his answer? (9 Mar 2002)

193. Nine years ago, at time of my diagnosis of type 2 diabetes, I was quite overweight. I went on a low fat diet and once I got my weight down, my blood sugar normalized. Now my blood sugar is not good at all. Two weeks ago, I was waking up with elevated readings, so my physician put me on Glucovance, and I have several questions. (9 Mar 2002)

194. I have noticed that my 15 month old son suddenly will zone out, his eyes become glazed, and then he slumps over and tries to go to sleep. When I see this, I give him either a cup of milk or juice, and he usually perks up right away. Any course of action you can recommend or information that could set my mind at ease? (9 Mar 2002)

195. I have had type 1 diabetes for 27 years. Recent lab work shows I have low magnesium, calcium, and anion gap levels. I was on magnesium a few years ago, but this did not help the last time. How do the levels affect me? How are they related to my blood sugar control? (9 Mar 2002)

196. I am baffled by the ADA recommendation, one that is oft cited by the Ask the Diabetes Team members, that an A1c (or glycosylated hemoglobin) should be less than 1% above the upper limit of normal for the lab performing the test. (8 Mar 2002)

197. My 11 year old son seems to have some of the symptoms of diabetes ((extreme thirst, eating a lot, and urinating a lot), but he is not losing any weight. He recently showed a little blood in his urine, but a urine test came out negative for a urinary tract infection. Now, he has a little spot of blood coming from the penile area, but it is unclear where it is coming from. Could it be related to diabetes at all? (8 Mar 2002)

198. Is it possible to have type 1 diabetes and type 2 at the same time? (8 Mar 2002)

199. My 21 month old daughter was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and I am having trouble finding calorie intake and portion size information for her age. Any resources would be appreciated. (8 Mar 2002)

200. My co-worker has an eight year old daughter who has type 1 diabetes, and she is having a hard time finding a diet for her because the diabetic management team has given her a list of "fast foods" and other not so healthy foods as choices. Where can she find information about a healthy sensible diet? (8 Mar 2002)

201. My mother has had numerous symptoms of diabetes, and her blood sugars have been high. This has been ongoing for a while, but her doctor does not seem very concerned. (8 Mar 2002)

202. My son recently told me about an something he experienced in the middle of the night. He said he was awake but could not move. It was frustrating and scary for him and has me concerned that he might have been experiencing a somewhat severe hypoglycemic episode. Does this sound like a hypoglycemic incident? (8 Mar 2002)

203. I am 27 years old, I have had type 1 diabetes for 25 years, and I want to plan a family, but I'm scared of complications, and I have had one previous miscarriage (unplanned pregnancy). I am very much out of control, and I have minor retinopathy which has been treated. Could you tell me if there is any way I can have a baby? (8 Mar 2002)

204. I am 31 years old, I am in my 27th week of pregnancy., and I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes last week. I started a new diet plan, and I can control my blood glucose during the day well except for one-hour after breakfast when my blood sugar is usually 145-155 mg/dl [8.1-8.6 mmol/L]. I also found small amount ketones in my urine in the morning. (8 Mar 2002)

205. I have type 1 diabetes, and I have an eating disorder. How common is compulsive eating disorder with type 1 diabetes? How does one tell this food problem to a dietitian when trying to formulate a meal plan. I'm sure they'd look at you really "funny". (8 Mar 2002)

206. My nine year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 15 months ago, has had normal A1cs, but he had protein in his urine at his quarterly visit with his pediatric endocrinologist who ordered a repeat urine test. I do realize that each lab has its own "normal values", but research via the Internet has found that less than 150 is considered normal. Is 30 considered high or low for microalbumin? (8 Mar 2002)

207. My seven year old daughter's school nurse claims she's trained in diabetes, but has made several incorrect statements. If she is trained, shouldn't this school nurse already know what to do? (7 Mar 2002)

208. Have people been diagnosed with diabetes that don't even have it? (7 Mar 2002)

209. Recently I had my first experience with my son and DKA. He seems well and back to his old self today. He had two low blood sugar readings and two normal ketone readings today, but just now his blood sugar reading was very high and the urine ketones were large! I've administered the appropriate insulin, and I am hoping all will be well. Should I send him to school? (7 Mar 2002)

210. Diabetes runs in my family, and I have symptoms of diabetes, yet do not have glucose in my urine test. Is it possible to have blood sugar problems with negative urine glucose tests? (7 Mar 2002)

211. I'm 24 years old, I have had type 1 diabetes for 11 years, and my husband and I found out that we were pregnant last week. I have been trying to keep my blood sugars within the prescribed range, but although my blood sugars have been good, I'm having trouble staying within this range all the time. How bad is it to have sugars outside of the prescribed range to the extent that I do? (7 Mar 2002)

212. My almost five year old stepson, who has type 1 diabetes and takes three shots of insulin a day, has very irregular blood sugar levels when we have him, and we are having a hard time with his diet. He is typical kid who burns a lot of energy. We need help finding a good diet for him, so that his eating habits will be strong and balanced when he is an adult. (7 Mar 2002)

213. (7 Mar 2002)

214. My 10 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I receive my health care through the military heath care system. Like all parents with a child with diabetes, I now have to assume a much more active role as an advocate for my child's health care delivery, and I am seeking patient advocacy information relating to people with type 1 diabetes accessing the domestic military health care system. (7 Mar 2002)

215. Can you have side effects from certain kinds of insulin? (7 Mar 2002)

216. Should I be forcing myself to eat snacks when I don't want them? (7 Mar 2002)

217. My eight year old child, who has had type 1 diabetes for four years, has a cyst on one of her kidneys. Also, she has just tested positive for coeliac disease, although we are told this is not an immediate problem. What might the repercussions of this be in the short and long term? (7 Mar 2002)

218. My friend's five year old granddaughter has type 1 diabetes, diagnosed about a year ago and treated with injections three times a day. However, her blood sugars are always either off the charts high or low, and she has been having seizures. If they can't get her numbers regular, what are chances of long term effects? (6 Mar 2002)

219. Last year, three days after my 10 year old was beaten by five kids, he started having seizures. He started off with two to three seizures a month, but this past week, he's had one a day, always at night just after he goes to sleep. Someone I had someone test it sugar level one night, and it was low. Could this be his problem? (6 Mar 2002)

220. I'm 22 years old, I have had type 1 diabetes for two and a half years, I take five to six shots of Humalog a day depending on what my sugars are in addition to 35 units of NPH at bedtime, and I think this is quite a lot of insulin for one person to be taking. Will this much insulin at such a young age in life cause problems down the road for me? (6 Mar 2002)

221. I'm 22 years old, I have had type 1 diabetes for two and a half years, I take five to six shots of Humalog a day depending on what my sugars are in addition to 35 units of NPH at bedtime, and I sometimes get really bad sugar lows in the night. This is such a scary feeling and very embarrassing for me. Is there anything I can do about these reactions? Will they get better or will they get worse? (6 Mar 2002)

222. My eight year old boy, diagnosed just about two years ago, is currently on Lantus and a sliding scale of Humalog, but I still cannot gain tight control over his numbers. I follow his diet to a T, and he still can go from low to high on any given day. Is it really possible to be in a honeymoon period this long? Can anyone offer any other suggestions on trying to gain tighter control over this? (6 Mar 2002)

223. In a four year old, how does Lantus work? Why do you sometimes have a low reading in the morning? Can your snacks be at anytime or must they be regulated? (6 Mar 2002)

224. I have had type 1 diabetes for 19 years. Until two years ago, I was taking the pork insulin then switched to human insulin, and now I have a hard time recognizing when my blood sugar starts to get low. Do different types of insulin have different effects on people when their blood sugar becomes low? Should I consider changing the type of insulin I use? (6 Mar 2002)

225. My 13 year old step-daughter was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in another state, and even though she has spent several weeks in a hospital the doctors were never able to get her down below 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L]. She is coming to live with us because her mother does not have time and is making her fearful of injections. I don't have a clue as to what kinds of foods she will need. (6 Mar 2002)

226. I found a website about "transfer factor". What is your opinion of its value in treating diabetes? (6 Mar 2002)

227. My 10 year old son has type 1 diabetes, and my seven year old son has recently been experiencing a bout with bedwetting. He has always wet the bed periodically, but it seems worse in the past few weeks. He also has gained no weight in the last six months, but has gotten taller and thinner. I checked his blood glucose about a month ago, and again this morning, and both were in the normal range. Should I be concerned about type 1 in my seven year old, or am I being a little paranoid? (6 Mar 2002)

228. My wife has been told she has diabetes (although she has not gone for blood work yet), and she has been checking her blood but can't seem to get it down below 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L]. What should we do? (6 Mar 2002)

229. My 88 year old dad, who was taking insulin shots once a day, just got over pneumonia three weeks ago, and now his blood sugar levels for the past six days have stayed high. The doctors gave him two shots a day, but last night he complained of being extremely thirsty and is having pains in his legs and arms. What could be the cause of this? Why would his blood sugars be so high continually? (6 Mar 2002)

230. I have hypoglycemia caused by a damaged pancreas, and although I have normal blood sugar levels most of the time, I am low in the morning every day! I eat a snack (yogurt or raisins) before I go to bed, but I am still low only during this time. (6 Mar 2002)

231. My 21 year old son, who has had type 1 diabetes since age 12, wants to go back to weight lifting and wants to start taking protein supplements to improve muscle building. Are they safe? I'm afraid he will do kidney damage. (4 Mar 2002)

232. I am an 18 year old female who has had type 1 diabetes for about 12 years now, and I was wondering about birth control pills. If I started to take birth control pills, would I have any complications because of taking them? Do you think it is wise to take them? (4 Mar 2002)

233. Our five year old daughter has hypoglycemia. She is seeing a pediatrician who has no experience with hypoglycemia, and our dietitian is not very accessible. I have several questions. (4 Mar 2002)

234. Given that glucagon may not always work, (especially if someone has had multiple lows or just completed extended or rigorous exercise), is it safe to use glucose gel in a semiconscious, unconscious or seizing patient? (4 Mar 2002)

235. A good friend's daughter was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and she has been experiencing pain which the doctor associated with an inflamed liver. Is this normal? (4 Mar 2002)

236. I know of a person who has had type 1 diabetes whose husband says she has been found passed out at least twice within the last few weeks. She was found unconscious by her six year old who could not wake her. Her husband has tried to get her in to be seen. What can be done be for her? Can a person with diabetes have a seizure? (4 Mar 2002)

237. At her doctor's visit last week, my 76 year old mother, who has had type 2 diabetes for about five years, was told that her feet were blue and cold and that she had no pulse in her feet. This really threw her since previous reports were always upbeat. Now she is very worried about the possibility of amputation. The doctor set up an appointment with a vascular surgeon. What will the vascular surgeon do? (4 Mar 2002)

238. I am a 62 year old male with type 2 diabetes who is on Social Security and has no health insurance. Is there any organization that can help with the cost of my supplies? (4 Mar 2002)

239. I have a 13 year old son with diabetes. Is it possible to buy a needle-free insulin injector in India? If yes, how and from where can I buy it? If no, what are the chances that it will be available in India in near future? Which websites should I look at? (4 Mar 2002)

240. My 15 year old daughter, who has had diabetes since age five, just started attending high school. She has been going to her doctor every two weeks because her blood sugars out of control, and her high school is giving her a hard time over being absent so much. There is times when she does not feel good and does not go to school. What are my daughter's rights with regard to being absent? (4 Mar 2002)

241. My 12 year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes just three months ago, has greatly elevated blood glucose levels when he exercises so he does not take in extra carbs before activities. His diabetes team does not have an answer as to why he does not need extra carbs when exercising or why his glucose goes so high. (1 Mar 2002)

242. Should I be forcing myself to eat snacks when I don't want them? (1 Mar 2002)

243. My three year old son has had type 1 diabetes since the age of 13 months, and ever since the doctors cannot get his sugar regulated. He's on a very minute amount of insulin, but he still goes low. Could my son have MODY diabetes? Please help me understand what is going on. (1 Mar 2002)

244. My 16 year old daughter, who has type 1 diabetes, was put on Zoloft about a week ago. Has Zoloft been linked to low blood sugar in the middle of the night? (1 Mar 2002)

245. My 22 month old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes five months ago, and I go back and forth between accepting the situation and then being highly motivated to find out what can be done. Is there a best way to remain up-to-date on upcoming treatments? Is there a way to know what the chances are of my daughter actually being able to receive one of these treatments? (1 Mar 2002)

246. My doctor has treated me with oral medication for my diabetes for the last 12 years, but over the past two years, my numbers continue to go up, and my last A1c was 12.4%, so he has referred me to an endocrinologist. What can an endocrinologist do for me? (1 Mar 2002)

247. I have had type 1 diabetes for 19 years, and I want to undergo liposuction so that I can wear sleeveless shirts without being self-conscious of the uneven lumpy appearance of my arms. I am trying to gather information liposuction in people with type 1 diabetes to help alleviate the build up of scar tissue over the years. (1 Mar 2002)

248. My 13 year old son developed this "twitching" nervous tic 'thing" about the same time as his diagnosis of diabetes, and my concern is that it keeps getting worse. Have you ever heard of something like this associated with diabetes? Could this be diabetes or insulin related? (1 Mar 2002)

249. I have type 1 diabetes, and I am interested in a living liver donation, and I would like to know what additional risks diabetes would pose. I have read that people with diabetes can be organ donors, but I can find no transplant programs allowing live donation. Does this apply only after death? (1 Mar 2002)

250. What are the causes of diabetes other than the metabolic ones? Can where I live affect the likelihood of getting diabetes? (1 Mar 2002)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts