From Strongsville, Ohio, USA:

My doctor has treated me with oral medication for my diabetes for the last 12 years, but over the past two years, my numbers continue to go up, and my last A1c was 12.4%, my highest yet, so he has referred me to an endocrinologist. What can an endocrinologist do for me? What should I expect?

An endocrinologist is a physician who has extra training in the care of diseases such as diabetes. You may find that the expertise that consultation brings can help you to lower your hemoglobin A1c to a more normal level and provide you with a decreased risk for complications from your diabetes. I agree that 12.4% is much too high and needs aggressive intervention.

[Editor's comment: See When should a person with diabetes be referred to an endocrinologist?, Physician Credentialing, and Clinical Practice Recommendations from the American Diabetes Association. SS]