Question:

From West Frankfort, Illinois, USA:

My 16 year old daughter, who has type 1 diabetes, was put on Zoloft about a week ago. Has Zoloft been linked to low blood sugar in the middle of the night?

Answer:

I am not aware of a hypoglycemic response to Zoloft. I think that common things happen commonly.

I would suggest that first you review her insulin doses and meal planning. Maybe I am too cautious, but if one presumes that the Zoloft is prescribed for depression, then you may want to supervise her insulin administration and assure that there is no alterations in doses.

[Editor's comment: Since Zoloft is an anti-depressive medication, it may be that your daughter is feeling less stress which might lead to lower blood sugars. I would advise monitoring her levels closely for while (including doing a few at night). SS]

Posted to Other Medications