Question:

From Scarborough, Ontario, Canada:

I'm 22 years old, and I have had type 1 diabetes for two and a half years. I take five to six shots of Humalog a day depending on what my sugars are in addition to 35 units of NPH at bedtime, and I know sometimes I have bad eating habits. Is this something that is going to cause major problems later on in life? I don't eat unhealthy foods all the time, but sometimes I do. I do eat three meals a day which are usually around the same time depending on my schedule at work. I have snacks when I want them, but I'm not always hungry. Should I be forcing myself to eat snacks when I don't want them?

Answer:

You ask some good questions. Yes, It is still important to eat on a consistent basis each day, especially with your insulin regimen. That doesn't mean that you have to eat the same food everyday or that you have to eat snacks when you aren't hungry. There's nothing worse than having to eat snacks when you are not hungry. Eating is supposed to be an enjoyable part of life, even with diabetes. Diabetes meal planning nowadays focuses more on the amount of carbohydrate rather than the source of the carbohydrate, so occasional sweets in small amounts can be worked into your meal planning without compromising blood sugar control.

I would suggest that you meet with a registered dietitian who specializes in working with people with diabetes (if you haven't already) to develop a realistic meal plan that can work with your schedule and food preferences. Ask your physician for a referral if you need one. Any food can fit into a diabetes meal planning with a bit of effort.

JMS

DTQ-20020219170339C