Question:

From Summerside, Prince Edward Island, Canada:

Our five year old daughter has hypoglycemia. She is seeing a pediatrician who has no experience with hypoglycemia, and our dietitian is not very accessible. We were told to give 20 grams of carb for snacks and 50-60 for meals. We try to strive for that, but then she is still hungry and eats more. How concerned should we be with her diet? Should we limit her? How do we deal with party days at school where there are plenty of treats? Will hypoglycemia lead to diabetes?

Answer:

Hypoglycemia can be caused by a number of problems. I would make sure to first establish a diagnosis of hypoglycemia based on numerous blood tests at home and in your physician's office. A pediatric endocrinologist is a good source of information for hypoglycemia if your pediatrician has limited experience. I would talk with your pediatrician about seeking a referral with a pediatric endocrinologist.

[Editor's comment: See Other causes of hypoglycemia at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]