From a physician in Bethesda, Maryland, USA:

My 10 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I am an active duty officer in the U.S. Public Health Service, and I receive my health care through the military heath care system. Like all parents with a child with diabetes, I now have to assume a much more active role as an advocate for my child's health care delivery, and I am seeking patient advocacy information relating to people with type 1 diabetes accessing the domestic military health care system. I am particularly interested in information regarding Tricare Standard, the program that covers use of non-military providers. Although I am fast becoming an expert, I am hoping to benefit from the experience of parents who have worked within this system. Tricare itself does not have any literature specifically relating to their delivery of heath care to people with type 1 diabetes.

As a pediatric endocrinologist, I have followed a number of children with diabetes whose parents are in the military. The "system" refers them and I care for them, sending notes back to the "system". It seems to work. Ask about the pediatric endocrinologist network -- sometimes it is an excellent physician in the "system" and sometimes those on the outside.

Posted to Insurance/Costs