From Fremont, California, USA:

I am 31 years old, I am in my 27th week of pregnancy., and I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes last week. I started a new diet plan, and I can control my blood glucose during the day well except for one-hour after breakfast when my blood sugar is usually 145-155 mg/dl [8.1-8.6 mmol/L]. I also found small amount ketones in my urine in the morning.

The ketones should not be a problem unless they persist of worsen. They should clear with food and hydration. If your blood sugar is always elevated after breakfast, then this needs to be addressed. A change in your diet may be one solution and you should review your calorie intact with a dietitian. The other possibility would be to start insulin with a single morning injection or start glyburide. You need to speak to your physician about this further.

[Editor's comment: See The Diabetes Monitor: Family Planning for young women with diabetes for some additional thoughts, especially about glyburide. WWQ]

Posted to Gestational Diabetes