Question:

From Knoxville, Tennessee, USA:

My 21 month old daughter was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and I am having trouble finding calorie intake and portion size (carb counting) information for her age. Any resources would be appreciated.

Answer:

Hopefully, if your daughter was newly diagnosed with diabetes, your physician has referred you to a registered dietitian who specializes in children with diabetes to develop an individualized meal plan for your young daughter. Especially at this young age, a dietitian is integral in assuring that a proper calorie level is established for growth needs and optimal blood sugar control. If this has not happened yet, please ask.

JMS

[Editor's comment: You will find Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Brackenridge and Richard Rubin quite helpful in feeding a toddler with diabetes. SS]