Question:

From Pennsylvania, USA:

I am 25 years old, and I have had type 1 diabetes for seven years. About six months ago, I was experiencing symptoms like menopause, and after testing, the doctors found I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, but no one can seem to understand how I have type 1 diabetes and PCOS. They decided to check for GAD antibodies, and the level was 5.3. Any input? Is my case completely strange, or have you seen this before?

Answer:

Typeá2 diabetes is more than 10 times as common as typeá1 diabetes and is more common in patients with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, but you could have a predisposition for both types of diabetes. Since PCOS involves insulin resistance, I am perfectly satisfied you have both types. You need to be on Glucophage [metformin] too to improve your insulin resistance.

DTQ-20020221152938A