From Los Lunas, New Mexico, USA:

Our four year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about 14 months ago, and my wife and I get a lot of conflicting information from his diabetes team. I feel comfortable keeping him under 200mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L], and while one of his physicians agrees, the other likes to try and keep him at 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L] which I totally disagree with. What is a safe blood sugar for a four year old?

It's not so much keeping him below a level but trying to keep him between limits. We try to target blood glucose levels of 72-180 mg/dl [4-10mmol/L] in 80% of the tests. In the under five year olds, we accept a little more leeway. I agree that keeping him at 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L] is far too high.