Question:

From Holcombe, Wisconsin, USA:

A friend of mine is having a vein transplanted from part of her leg to an artery lower in the leg to improve circulation. I know diabetes causes damage to arteries that create many complications. Are veins also susceptible to the same kind of damage that occurs in arteries?

Answer:

The damage is to all vessels, but the arteries serve as the way for blood and nutrients to get to the body organs, so they seem to be more important.

[Editor's comment: If I understand correctly, you seem concerned that the vein being used as a graft might also have damage and might not work. Be assured that the vascular surgeons will make certain the donor vein is able to maintain blood flow before using it. SS]