Question:

From New Cambria, Missouri, USA:

When my blood sugar drops like from over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] to the normal range (128-160 mg/dl [7.1-8.9 mmol/L]), I feel low. What can I do to prevent my body from thinking it has low blood sugar?

Answer:

It's called hypoglycemic awareness training. You need to learn how you feel at certain glucose values. You must keep learning. Values of 128-160 mg/dl [7.1-8.9 mmol/L] 1 aren't low. You must get numbers that are lower too. How do you feel? You need to try to differentiate the difference. Keep testing and learning.

[Editor's comment: It sounds to me as though your blood sugar must be falling very rapidly, causing your body to react as though your sugar is low. I would be curious to know what your hemoglobin A1c is and what kind of fluctuations you are finding. If your A1c is more than about 1% above the upper limit of normal for the lab doing the test, your control is not optimal.

It is important to try to get your blood glucose levels within a fairly narrow, normal range. Of course, you will occasionally have some high and low numbers -- that's pretty much unavoidable. I would suggest, as Dr Deeb said, that you monitor frequently (at least before meal and bedtime and preferably two hour after meals and during the night as well) and, with the help of your diabetes team, make appropriate insulin adjustment to avoid the wide swings. Also, your situation might well be clarified by monitoring sugar levels continuously for several days to try to sort out what's happening in more detail. See The Continuous Glucose Monitoring System and ask your diabetes team about using it. SS]