Question:

From England:

I am 14 years of age, I have type 1 diabetes, and I am currently using pen injections, but a pump looks more comfortable and more convenient. Is it available in the UK? If it isn't, could you please tell me how else I could get this and how much it would cost in pounds, preferably. Would it be worthwhile for me to get this or would sticking to a pen injection be a safer option?

Answer:

Insulin pumps are not yet available on prescription in the UK. They have both benefits and disadvantages which you can read about on this website. The best thing is to discuss the matter with your diabetes team who will be able to advise you and indicate whether a pump may be right for you. All I would say is that pumps are very convenient, and many patients like them, but they do not remove the requirement for paying close attention to blood sugar results and acting upon them.

[Editor's comment: See Insulin Pump Therapy for more information about pumps. SS]

Posted to Insulin Pumps