From Gibsonia, Pennsylvania, USA:

I am 40 years old, my TSH is 0.04, and I am currently taking.225 mg of thyroid hormone per day. I am having a hard time losing weight. I am gaining even though I am eating minimal and exercising. Do you think this should be increased or decreased?

The TSH you report would be considered to be too low. This implies the pituitary is "seeing" more thyroid hormone than it should. Therefore, your thyroid hormone dose should be decreased, possibly to 0.200 mg per day. It is not appropriate to maintain abnormally high thyroid hormones levels in an effort to lose weight. This may have medical consequences. Please discuss this result with your physician.

[Editor's comment: Dr. Lanes' reply is appropriate, whether or not the writer has diabetes. WWQ]

Posted to Thyroid