Question:

From Sparks, Nevada, USA:

My 21 year old son has type 1 diabetes and is having some problems keeping his weight up. At 5 feet 8 inches tall, he is 125 pounds now and normally runs from 132-138 pounds. He has trouble staying healthy, suffers from low stamina, and has had trouble with gastritis. He normally gets up and doesn't feel like eating right away, but a little after noon he starts eating and does not stop till nearly midnight. He does not eat large meals but will eat quite a few times each day. If I tried to keep up with him I would weigh 200 pounds. His regular doctor makes suggestions about his diet such as whole milk and more carbs, but we are thinking about taking him to an endocrinologist or metabolism specialist. How come he keeps losing weight? Does he have a condition that needs to be looked at?

Answer:

How is your son's blood sugar control? If he has poor blood sugar control, he can eat all the food he wants, but his body won't utilize it if he is not controlled well. An additional issue would be whether he is having any malabsorption, a condition which does not allow for the nutrients to be absorbed through the gut. Sounds like he needs a complete evaluation to get these questions answered. A referral to an endocrinologist is an excellent idea.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss