From Birmingham, Alabama, USA:

I am a teacher at a small school, and I have a five year old who has just been diagnosed with diabetes. How can I help him and his family and teach the children about his condition?

Thank you for being so proactive. There are a number of publications, even some for very young children to help guide you. Check out Books and Videos for Children and Teens on this website.

The key would be to educate teachers, students, and parents, that children with diabetes are simply that: children who happen to have diabetes. They do require some flexibility in meal planning and accommodations with testing blood sugar and getting insulin injections. If this is a public school, getting Federal monies in any way, the school is required to provide reasonable assistance in these matters with the formulation of an IEP and 504 plan with the family.

[Editor's comment: See The Law, Schools, and Your Child with Diabetes and Diabetes Management at School. SS]

[Editor's comment: We have just started a new Message Board at Children with Diabetes, for teachers of children with diabetes. WWQ]

Posted to School and Daycare