From Longview, Washington, USA:

Seven months before my 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, she starting having ovarian cysts rupture (about one every couple of months), and since her last cyst rupture (about one and a half months ago), her blood sugars have been consistently high. A month ago she was finally sent to a gynecologist who decided her ovaries are not working properly, and that she most likely has polycystic ovarian syndrome. He put her on birth control pills to completely shut down her ovaries and not allow her to ever have a period. My concern is that the pills also aid in causing insulin resistance.

The birth control pills will not have a major impact on insulin resistance. If she is truly requiring insulin and is making no insulin, then I wonder if she really has Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Is she being seen by an endocrinologist? If not, please ask for a referral.

Posted to Other Medications