Question:

From Bennington, Oklahoma, USA:

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a week ago exactly, but my physician hasn't put me on insulin yet because he wants me to go to a endocrinologist. My blood glucoses are not that bad. In fact they caught my diabetes before they got that bad. The highest fasting I have had is 178 mg/dl [9.9 mmol/L] and the highest bedtime value has been 300 mg/dl [16.7mmol/L].

I am determined to keep my sugars normal and already check my blood glucose six to eight times a day. I have been finding all the information possible about insulin therapy, I am really impressed by the DCCT, and I want to go on the pump. How soon after diagnosis can I be put on the pump? Would the pump be a good option for me?

Answer:

Specifics of diabetes treatment depends upon how much insulin reserve you have, whether you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes and how much you can and are willing to learn about your diabetes management including blood glucose monitoring, carb counting, etc. You are correct to assume that better glucose control, as demonstrated in the DCCT. for type 1 diabetes patients and in the UKPDS in type 2 diabetes patients, matters enormously.

Usually, insulin pump therapy is not started at diagnosis since there is a lot to learn about basic diabetes management -- but this may change in the future. You can achieve excellent control with basal/bolus insulin therapy as well as with insulin pumps so these decisions should be made by you and diabetes treatment team working closely together, defining goals, etc. Make sure you join the American Diabetes Association and therefore get up-to-date information monthly through Diabetes Forecast.

[Editor's comment: Please get treatment without delay! You are in danger of developing DKA [diabetic ketoacidosis] without insulin, so it is important that, in addition to your blood glucose levels, you monitor your urine for ketones whenever your blood glucose is over 240 mg/dl [13.3 mmol/L]. SS]

Posted to Daily Care and Insulin Pumps