Question:

From Grants, New Mexico, USA:

I am 15 years old, have had type 1 diabetes for about three years, I am preparing to go on a mission trip to Juarez, Mexico, and I will be on a insulin pump. Is there anything special I need to get because of diabetes? What type of papers will I need in order to cross the border with my supplies?

Answer:

I am assuming that you are going at spring break with a church sponsored group to the Juarez that is close to the border (There are two others!) which would not be so very far from your hometown. Here are some precautions to consider even though I am sure you are already comfortable with changing the basal rate and bolus settings on the insulin pump:

1. Take two lots of supplies, one on your person and the other in whatever luggage you may be taking.
  2. Make sure that at least one person in the group knows that you have diabetes and where you have written down home and doctor's phone numbers. You can get a prepaid telephone card that can be used over the border.
  3. You should bring a letter from your doctor to affirm that you do indeed have diabetes. Customs might ask for this and also your pump may trigger any screening device.
  4. Try to avoid salads, roadside snacks and unidentified ice cubes and eat with the rest of the group.In particular, use bottled water if you can or from a source that is identified as 'purificado'. This also applies to water for cleaning your teeth.
  5. Ask your doctor for an emergency prescription of Cipro or Bactrim in case you get traveller's diarrhoea, and make sure he tells you when to use it.

Posted to Traveling