From the USA:

Is there a reason I shouldn't eat my meal, test afterward and then take the amount of Humalog needed? At restaurants, I don't inject until the meal is sitting right in front of me. At home, I inject no more than 5 minutes before eating. It doesn't take more than 20 minutes (at home) to eat. If I could inject afterward, I'd know the precise dose of Humalog to take and I wouldn't find myself too low or too high later. I'm assuming my blood glucose immediately after eating would show the result of the food just eaten.

Humalog works best for you when it is taken 5-10 minutes prior to eating.Taking Humalog after the meal could result in having a higher postprandial blood sugar which will contribute in the long run to a higher hemoglobin A1c. Although it is okay in a pinch to give Humalog after the meal, I wouldn't suggest doing that routinely.

[Editor's comment: The prescribing information for Humalog says: "When used as a meal-time insulin, Humalog should be given within 15 minutes before or immediately after a meal." I'd suggest you try to maintain consistency on the timing of the mealtime insulin -- usually before, usually during, or usually after, the meal. WWQ]

Posted to Insulin Analogs