Question:

From Port Reading, New Jersey, USA:

I am a 29 year old woman who has been living with type 1 diabetes for 18 years and on an insulin pump for a year, and my blood sugars are in control. However, my husband and I have been trying to have a baby for one and one-half years, and I am still not pregnant and have never had a miscarriage. I have been using a fertility monitor, and I do get peak levels throughout my cycle. Should I be concerned? My husband has an appointment set up to check his sperm count, but I have this fear that it's not him but me. How much can stress and worrying about not being pregnant affect my changes?

I literally feel like I'm making myself sick about this because I've had an upset stomach for the past two months. It seems like my friends and family members are being blessed with being pregnant. I'm also very depressed, sometimes not wanting to get out of bed at all. Everywhere I look I see pregnant women and/or babies. I've done everything that the doctors and dietitians said to do. Any help or words of encouragement are deeply appreciated.

Answer:

If you have had unprotected intercourse for over a year without conceiving, then it is probably worth while consulting with an infertility specialist. There may be some simple solutions or it could be a complex problem, but that is where you should start.

[Editor's comment: Please also see The Diabetes Monitor: Planning a Pregnancy. SS]

Posted to Family Planning