From Kuala, Lumpur:

I am a 45 year old male with uncontrolled (blood glucose 18-25 mmol/L [180-450 mg/dl] or more) type 2 diabetes for the past 15 years, and nothing seems to work (I have tried insulin injections, tablets, 1400 calorie diet, exercise, and herbs). Also, I was recently diagnosed with chronic hepatitis and have probably been carrying it for last 15 years, but I am not on any treatment at the moment. For the past few weeks, I have a bloated stomach, extreme thirst, belching the previous night with unfamiliar smell followed by diarrhea every day normally in the morning after 5:00 am, and very watery smelly stools. I purge 5-10 times after which it stops automatically until the next morning, and it starts again despite whatever I eat in the day. I thought it was malabsorption and avoided fat, carb, lactose, protein respectively, but I still purged and had urine protein and ketones with extreme thirst and general weakness /drowsiness. Can any one explain why I have high urine protein and ketone readings? Is it malabsorption or ketosis or anything else?

I am sorry but I cannot determine the cause of your symptoms and problems through this medium. You obviously need to see a physician. Without insulin, your sugars will surely be high. You will continuously run the problem of volume depletion from the high sugars. Above and beyond your high sugars, your liver disease status is unknown but sounds like it needs to be evaluated. Please do not delay in seeking medical care.

Posted to Complications and Hyperglycemia and DKA