Question:

From Calgary, Alberta, Canada:

I'm a teenager who has diabetes. My recent hemoglobin A1c was 12% (which is pretty high), and now my parents are freaking out about the whole thing. They think that I don't know what to do to fix it. It's like they don't know that I know I can handle my own disease, and it's really frustrating! What am I supposed to do to prove to them that I know what to do? Help!

Answer:

It may be that your parents are really worried about you and are freaking out because of that. Sometimes you have to show your folks it isn't always easy to keep on top of your diabetes. By checking your blood glucose, sticking to your insulin doses and taking care of your diet, you can show them you are really trying to make it better. It does help to get as much help from your friends and folks. Sharing your worries and frustrations also helps. Stick at it.

JS

[Editor's comment: I also suggest that stay in close contact with your diabetes team (even on a daily basis for a while) to help you make appropriate insulin increases. SS]